There was a huge storm in your neighborhood! Everyone made it out okay, but there’s debris everywhere and cleanup is going to be a chore. At first glance, your house looks just fine, but what about the roof? How can you tell if it’s damaged or unsafe? Does a professional need to come out and look at it?
While this can be confusing to figure out on your own, there are some basic things you can lookout for to determine what to do next.
Take Note of the Obvious
There will be times that the signs of damage are glaringly obvious and you know there might be a problem. These signs include:
- Water marks on the ceiling
- Missing and damaged shingles
- Wet or peeling walls
- Flashing that appears broken or damaged
- Water issues occuring around the home
- Sizeable branches or entire trees on the roof
These are all things that you’ll notice immediately and most likely require a professional to remedy. However, maybe there are less obvious things that you’re missing.
Signs That Can Be Seen But Aren’t Apparent
Assuming you’re not a roof expert, there are some signs that you can safely keep an eye out for. Keep in mind that you should never go up onto the roof yourself in the event that there are loose shingles or rotted spots that could endanger you. These are a few of the things you can easily notice from the ground that could indicate damage:
- Granule buildup or dents/dings on the asphalt shingles
- Flashing that is loose or missing along the edge of the roof, as well as skylights, vents, and chimneys
- Peeling or loose sealant along the edge of the roof, as well as skylights, vents, and chimneys
- Visible water damage to the attic
Get an Inspection!
More often than not, roof damage is not obvious and requires a professional assessment. HNL Constructions certified roof inspectors can help you rest easy knowing your roof is safe and working as it should.
No matter the weather you’ve experienced, it’s always a good idea to stay on top of roof inspections. This ensures that you won’t have expensive repairs out of the blue in the future and helps keep your home safe. A professional roof inspector will identify any damage and explain to you what needs to be done about it. Contact HNL Construction today to have one of our expert roof inspectors come out and take a look at your home.